Re: bouncing to a bunch of people . . .

2003-03-15 18:26:08
Thanks Sean and David for your help.  I have this simply forwarding to
a list of addresses.  The next preference is to 'close' the list, and
I believe I have some recipes that can help.

One question.  Sean, you recommended using a flat file to list the
addresses, then use a
! `cat list.txt`
mechanism to do the actual forward.  Will procmail care if the file is
set up with one address per line?

Thanks again.

Lou
On 03/15/03 01:16 PM, Louis LeBlanc sat at the `puter and typed:
Hey all.  I have a semantics question regarding a small bounce list.

I have an address set up on my server that will (hopefully) bounce
messages to a list of about 5 or 6 other addresses.
This address is aliased to my address with a '+listname' extension, so
that the message will come thru my own ~/.procmailrc file.

I know this can be done as follows:

:0
* FOLDER ?? ^^listname^^
{
  :0c
  ! address1(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
  :0c
  ! address2(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
  :0c
  ! address3(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
  :0c
  ! address4(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net
  :0c
  ! address5(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
  FOLDER
}

The last line is intended to clear the FOLDER variable to ensure the
original message gets put into my own mailbox.  This part at least
works.

The question is what will procmail do if I try to define these
addresses in a basic 'Nickname1 <address1(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>' format?
And can I simply put all these addresses on the same bounce line as
follows?
"Nickname1 <address1(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>, Nickname2
<address2(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>,
  Nickname3 <address3(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>, Nickname4
<address4(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net>,
  Nickname5 <address5(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>, MyMailbox
<myaddress(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)org>"

I'm hoping I can so that I can eliminate the overhead of copying the
message n times and just bounce the original to the whole list
including my own mailbox.

Any pointers?

Thanks folks.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc(_at_)keyslapper(_dot_)org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Vulcans never bluff.
    -- Spock, "The Doomsday Machine", stardate 4202.1

Louis LeBlanc               leblanc(_at_)keyslapper(_dot_)org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Van Roy's Law:
  Honesty is the best policy - there's less competition.