Re: Trimming an extra header.

2003-03-28 17:11:16
At 22:53 2003-03-28 +0100, Dallman Ross did say:
There is *no* reason to be loading that humongo perl thing into memory
for each message he gets.

Agreed, though for _selected_ pieces of mail, it wouldn't necessarily be as evil as you make it out to be. However, people should always benchmark the tools which they decide to use. Awk for instance is a major pig. I don't even think Perl holds a candle to it in terms of resource consumption, esp. when you consider the functionality of the two languages.

But we don't need it, or perl.  (Though if we did, we would want the
w and h flags on the recipe.)

        :0 b # forward just the body
        * ^From:(_dot_)*(_at_)bio\(_dot_)ri\(_dot_)ccf\(_dot_)org
        ! forward(_at_)address

But, uhm, if I understood the original post correctly, he's not talking about having the host that procmail is running on perform the forward - his "Groupwise" mail server is where the mail arrives and from which he forwards to his *nix box where he has procmail. GROUPWISE is apparently adding a new set of headers (and if I've understood a followup message correctly), quoting the original headers, perhaps "OutBreak style" within the body (i.e. not actually "quoted" with any indentation symbols).

If true, it would seem to indicate that the headers should simply be discarded and the body re-applied as the new _complete_ message (much in the manner that your forward recipe above is forwarding the body only), but I'm going to wait until the actual before and after is explained. There is of course the added issue of dealing with MIME constructs, and how this Groupwise forward may mangle them (which perhaps changes the mime separators, which should be paid close attention to).

Ultimatley, the better solution would be to drop the groupwise server as a clusterbomb on some desert country which has been in the news, sending their technology back 30 years when they decide to employ it.

I guess one _could_ format the harddrive on the Groupwise box and install something different. <g>