Re: Regexp fails in scoring recipe

2003-05-01 11:35:28

Dallman Ross wrote:

Thank you. I know it's hard to find the source of the problem from only the information in the original post. One possibility is that my server had an update of Solaris applied, and procmail doesn't cope with it well in all cases. I have an interest determining whether this is a bug in Solaris.

I still don't see an easy answer.  But here's another question:
Are you running stuff through SpamAssassin (or spamc/spamd) or some
other filter after your traffic-report test but before the mail
otherwise gets saved to disk?

I don't use SpamAssassin. However, I was using SpamProbe in early April ahead of the traffic filter. SpamProbe is beta quality software so the author recommends saving a copy of the mail before running SpamProbe. If the message survives spam filtering, it gets to the list processing stage including the traffic report filtering. If the traffic report survives that filter, the plain text message is processed by a Perl script to highlight locations of interest with HTML. Then my mail client displays the HTML version. However, for testing in the test directory, I use the source message saved ahead of SpamProbe so it should be the original. As far as I know, SpamProbe does not alter the message. It depends on formail to add the X-SpamProbe header.

On April 20, I started using bogofilter instead of SpamProbe. I still use bogofilter. I save a copy of the message before running bogofilter (as before with SpamProbe). Traffic filtering still follows spam filtering. Bogofilter does alter the message to add the X-Bogosity header.

The last time my traffic recipe worked correctly was April 16 (the procmail log shows that a traffic report was delivered to /dev/null). I think that I started noticing failures in the traffic filter on April 17, but I didn't start investing until April 21. I'll disable bogofilter tonight to see if that makes a difference. I didn't consider bogofilter before because I convinced myself the problem began before using bogofilter. We'll see.

Meanwhile, if you send me a sample copy, I'll play with it.

Okay, the sample will follow in personal e-mail.

Kevin