Re: meaning of `c' (beed Executing external cmds via procmail)

2003-05-06 14:55:28
Paul Chvostek wrote:

>>If you want it to continue, you need to add the "c" flag to tell it to
>>"continue"

Andrew Edelstein responded:

Minor nit-pick here: the "c" is for "copy" not "continue".

Actually, originally it did mean "continue"; the man page said so, and there probably are obsolete procmail guides around the net that still say it. Later, when braces were introduced, people kept putting unnecessary `c' flags on the recipes that opened braces because of the idea of "continuing." That was harmless until Stephen introduced use of that syntax for cloning. A former frequent contributor to this list -- I remember his name as Roman Czyborra but what with this cold, this headache, and the passage of time the name might have been Jane Smith for all the reliability my memory has on that point -- suggested calling the `c' flag "copy" instead, solving the problem without a second change to the code.