Re: sending alerts to pager with procmailrc

2003-06-09 09:00:32
RonenK:  Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:22:07 +0300
RonenK:  From: Ronen Kfir <RonenK(_at_)tauex(_dot_)tau(_dot_)ac(_dot_)il>
RonenK:  To: procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
RonenK:  Subject: sending alerts to pager with procmailrc
RonenK:
RonenK:  Hi,
RonenK:  I have a Big Brother monitoring system on Windows 2000, which sends
RonenK:  e-mail alerts. I also have a pager gateway who has to receive the mail
RonenK:  messages in the format of a text file attachment (within pager no. &
the
RonenK:  message I wish to send to pager). I wrote a Perl script, running on my
RonenK:  SMTP server, which sends the mail with attachment I was talking of. Now
RonenK:  all I have left is to configure the procmailrc file. My demand from it:

We use BB over here.  Your questions seem more geared towards BB setup
than procmail.

RonenK:  *      I want the procmailrc file to make classification job, & pipe it
RonenK:  with my Perl script & pick the right file for the attachment out of the
RonenK:  pull of many files.
RonenK:  *      I have about 20 servers monitoring a couple of servers. I want
RonenK:  to get pager alerts only on Windows 2000 services problems & http not
RonenK:  available.

Your BB configuration should be emailing/paging whenever a particular
server.service (ie:  host1.http  or  host3.smtp) goes red or yellow.

Based on that, it should be easy to procmail it.  Since I only want to
read messages concerning the servers I am primarily responsible for, my
filter is written as such:

#SORT Big Brother
:0 H
* ^(From|Subject):.*Big.*Brother|bb\@|Re:.!?BB|BB:
{
        :0:
        * ^From:.*Big.Brother
        * !^Subject:.*(Gollum|Publish|Webpages|Aluminum|router|ns1)
        /dev/null
        #BigBrother2

        :0:
        * ^From:(_dot_)*daemon\(_at_)aluminum
        /dev/null

        :0:
        BigBrother
}

RonenK:  *      I don't want to get pager alert every 5 minutes, as in e-mail.
RonenK:  After the first notification, it should wait an hour until the next
RonenK:  alert.

This can be changed in the BB configuration.  I cannot recall which file
to edit in Win2000 as we run both Windoze and UNIX.

RonenK:         Please help.
RonenK:
RonenK:
RonenK:   Ronen Kfir
RonenK:  System Administrator
RonenK:  T.A.U Computing Division
RonenK:  Tel: 972-3-6407416
RonenK:  Fax: 972-3-6405158
RonenK:  cellular: 972-55-405910
RonenK:  E-mail: ronenk(_at_)tauex(_dot_)tau(_dot_)ac(_dot_)il

Any additional questions, you may want to subscribe to BB mailing lists.

 Thanks

 Scott Birl
 Senior Systems Administrator            Computer Services   Temple University
 1805 North Broad Street  Philadelphia   Pennsylvania 19122  United States