[OT] on Re: www.linuxpro.co.za

2003-07-03 15:45:15
On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 12:57:41 at 12:57:41PM -0700, Professional Software
Engineering (PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org) wrote:

Funny, but this whole internet thing is largely independant of any one
nation ('cepting the language-centricity of many resources, and well, since
this spam was sent in English, that seems not to apply any more to the spam
site than it does to procmail or most others).

Just a side comment. I agree with the rest of your mail, disliked the
tone of the original message for your same reasons, and am not going
to spend one second to visit that site (until somebody else I trust
convinces me of the contrary).

I wanted to point out, however, that this "whole internet thing" *is*
largely dependent from the nation one lives in. Simple text email can
indeed go everywhere, but many things are heavily dependent from local
infrastructure, average income, politics. Try to do e-learning with
Flash, video conference, or normal careless browsing when all you can
afford or find is a 5 years old PC, a 28.8K connection, ISP calls
priced as long distance, and a 10 minute connection costing half your
daily wage. Or remember China blocking internet access to its citizen.

I have been asked to create a CD-ROM dump of the bare-bone non profit
website in my signature by users in developing countries because
redistributing locally the CD-ROM via snail mail would be more
reliable, and cheaper, than browsing it...

The Internet will make many things independent from the nation one
lives in, but we are still far from that, worldwide.

      Ciao,
        Marco Fioretti
--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Any medium powerful enough to extend man's reach is powerful enough to
topple his world.  To get the medium's magic to work for one's aims
rather than against them is to attain literacy.
       Alan Kay, "Computer Software", Scientific American, Sep. 1984