Re: speaking of white lists...

2003-07-11 15:36:19
Of course, perhaps the original query really was "how do I deliver
based on
a whitelist match, and oh, I'm including this unrelated virus check
that I
want performed afterwards," but that's not how I read it - it seemed that
they wanted to _skip_ just that one a/v recipe based on whether the
sender
was in a whitelist.

That is correct, of course in hindsite, and after reading your responce,
you do make a good point.  What I'm trying to do is filter out
attachments from everyone without blocking attachments of certain types
from certain people.  All this rule basically does is save the virus
scanner some work by doing the initial scan of allowable attachments and
deciding if the attachment is to be allowed or filed in the viruses folder.

What I was thinking I guess, to be a little bit more detailed, is that
if an email came in, and it was from said friend or person on my white
list, it would skip the first rule (the one that just nuked all
attachments wholesale) and pass the email off to the virus scanner and
then if it passed deliver it.  I'm not going to let the attachments go
by without scanning.  I just don't want to wholesale dump them into the
viruses bin if they're a friend.  I want to pass it off to my virus
scanner instead.  Kinda this idea.  (forgive me for using the
programming reference.  It's the only way I can think to describe it.)

if sender = friend then
   sendto mail_scanner
elseif sender = unknown
   sendto attachment_filter
end if

That's kind of the idea I had in mind.  I hope I explained that clear
enough.