Re: maillog error, no such file, procmail verbose=on

2003-07-11 11:42:57
At 10:22 2003-07-11 -0600, Eric wrote:
Don't get angry: this issue could regard sendmail or procmail.

'cept that the logentry clearly shows that it is SENDMAIL reporting that
it
can't invoke a program (JFTR " verbose=on" is neither part of the procmail
filename, nor a valid commandline parameter to procmail).

2 issues here  one  if I cannot commandline verbose=on then where do I set
that?

other issue yes its sendmail.

the file does exist.. where is it calling verbose from... if its the
sendmail.cf then its not a procmail question. but I changed that.
I actually didn't change the cf file.... my bad post... I changed the mc
(like I should) and remade the cf

You, uh "changed that"?  What, you spotted a place where this verbose=on
was included in the program specification?  Well, doesn't it seem logical
that it must have been the cause?  Have you considered _RESTARTING_
sendmail?  Chances are, someone (I'm not pointing fingers) manually boged
the sendmail.cf (which is generally considered a big NO-NO - sysadms
maintain it via the .MC files), and then, when you restarted the whole
system, that new sendmail.cf took effect.  Until you restart sendmail
(which as a matter of course, would take place when you reboot your host),
it's not going to re-read the .cf file, so you can edit it all to your
hearts content, but it isn't going to change anything until sendmail is
told as much.

Alternatley, some unnamed user hosed their .foward syntax (which, if
procmail is properly configured as the LDA, should be unnecessary).  If
you
search the maillog for the SMTP id (shown there in the logentry you
posted), you should quickly identify which user the message was destined
for.

  Procmail disclaimer:
<http://www.professional.org/procmail/disclaimer.html>
  Please DO NOT carbon me on list replies.  I'll get my copy from the
list.