Re: speaking of white lists...

2003-07-11 12:21:52
At 10:56 2003-07-11 -0700, multimedia-fan(_at_)myrealbox(_dot_)com wrote:
I have something similar, I added the following before the virus filter.

Ah, so this way, people you trust can infect you with viruses.  Very clever.

If one is going to block executables, one should do it unconditionally - it's your "friends" who are most likely to catch you with your defences down, so why intentionally void this security layer?

If you deposit such messages into a mailbox from which you can manually retrieve the messages (versus throwing them to /dev/null), then you have the option of fetching them if it becomes necessary.

## Whitelisted domains.
:0
* ? ($FORMAIL -x From: -x Sender: -x Resent-From: | $FGREP -iqf
$domainwhitelist)
${DEFAULT}

I suspect that in some small way, the original query meant to not necessarily DELIVER based on the whitelist, but to skip the virus check for whitelisted entries.

:0
* ? ($FORMAIL -x From: -x Sender: -x Resent-From: | $FGREP -iqf
$domainwhitelist)
{
        # set it to something.
        WHITELISTED=YES
}

# instead of checking WHITELISTED, one could use the E flag on this recipe,
# as per 'man procmailrc'
:0:
* WHITELISTED ?? ^^^^
* virus check
malware

Of course, perhaps the original query really was "how do I deliver based on a whitelist match, and oh, I'm including this unrelated virus check that I want performed afterwards," but that's not how I read it - it seemed that they wanted to _skip_ just that one a/v recipe based on whether the sender was in a whitelist.