Re: maillog error, no such file, procmail verbose=on

2003-07-11 12:21:53
At 12:36 2003-07-11 -0600, Eric wrote:
2 issues here  one  if I cannot commandline verbose=on then where do I set
that?

How about as a _parameter_ to the program, rather than the program path itself (which is obviously what you redefined in the SENDMAIL mc file)? Nearly always, variable setting is performed within the rcfile in any event - overriding such things is useful for manual invocation, when the operator is intentionally tweaking variable state, not when it is done for all rcfiles/users in the system.

If the rcfile has "verbose" set within it (which UNSETS the variable, but which few people are going to do as a matter of course), then the commandline-defined verbose will have no effect, except for the verbosity up until the variable is unset in the rcfile.

I really doubt you want verbosity set in right from the sendmail invocation - procmail will potentially log quite a lot of material to the system log if a LOGFILE isn't spefified within the rcfile. Even if a logfile is specified, some logging will be to the syslog, and other logging will be to the specified logfile (those events which occur linearly after the LOGFILE specification).

Additionally, to disable the VERBOSE setting in the sendmail config, you'd have to change the sendmail configuration and RESTART sendmail. If the change is in the /etc/procmailrc file or whatever, simply editing the file will apply the change.

If a user has a script that defines logging, they'll end up with verbose logging when it isn't the default for procmail (which is certainly your peroggative on your own host), but more importantly to them, they'll potentially end up with a volume of material in their own defined LOGFILE, which could impact their account filesystem quotas. That's not a nice thing to do to someone.

> >the file does exist.. where is it calling verbose from... if its the
> >sendmail.cf then its not a procmail question. but I changed that.
I actually didn't change the cf file.... my bad post... I changed the mc
(like I should) and remade the cf

Remaking (and copying) the cf doesn't restart sendmail however, which is part of the problem you experienced in the first place (when you improperly ADDED the parameter as part of the program name), and which caused the error to continue even after you corrected the config file.

This tends to be true of ALL server daemons.