Re: Delete all with specific attachments?

2003-08-22 15:16:06
At 20:22 2003-08-22 +0000, John Conover wrote:

There are a lot more MS executable filename extensions. See:

    http://www.johncon.com/john/QuarantineAttachments/

I used that recipe as a basis for a notification mechanism on my servers - the messages are quarantined, but the HEADERS are sent along within the body to the original recipient, advising them that the message was quarantined.

I've been very happy with its effectiveness. Periodically purging the quarantine file is a trivial action (I do not have it automated, though a simple "rotate" operation would work fine for those wanting to automate it: active archive -> previous week archive -> delete archive.

There is no mechanism currently in place for users to extract messages from the quarantine (absolutely nobody at my site has requested it, so I'm not in a big rush to waste the time developing it). With a db interface and a little supporting code, it'd be possible to store the quarantined messages into an SQL db, and include a web interface that could extract them and redeliver messages from the archive via a URL stuffed into the advisory message (say using the messageID or local SMTP transaction id for the key). This would also make purging easy, since you could purge messages once they're over 'x' days old.

In any event, that'd be accomplished simply by building on the existing mechanism, which itself was built upon John's quarantine recipe (with some mods and updates).