Re: Delete all with specific attachments?

2003-08-22 16:44:03
At 15:43 2003-08-22 -0500, scott.list wrote:
Too many, too little resources.

Just wait until someone sends an important file, and a buggy script throws it out. You might be adding "Too few remaining customers" could be an added complaint.

Your script looks very complete but does much more than what I want
(e.g scoring).

Scoring is a method for adding up various trigger characteristics (say, to ensure that it's not a message *ABOUT* a virus).

I want the simplest, most efficient method to delete
(or redirect to quarrantine) any messages with attachments of the
indicated short list of extensions.  No scores.

SIMPLE EFFICIENT RELIABLE -- pick any two. Note that combinations not including "RELIABLE" are generally considered undesireable by the people whose email is being discarded.

When you get to tossing the messages to /dev/null, when there ARE false positives (I dunno, how about when someone attaches a legitimate, non executable file, and mentions an executable filename somewhere in their message body - or is discussing filtering of some new filetype on a discussion list such as procmail), you'll never be able to diagnose them.

Any more help?  Anyone have something more direct and better than what
I have.   But maybe not as broad as Johns?  Please assume I ONLY want
to delete .pif, .scr, .com, and .bat.

Uh, what's wrong with simply SHORTENING the regexp collection in John's recipe? That regexp, while long, is still *VERY* basic.

ext='(pif|scr|com|bat)'

Done. What about .exe files anyway? I note they're missing from your proposed recipe.

Change his action (from a forward) to a file, and eventually to /dev/null (though I still feel that's a rash move - a rotated mailbox would be a lot safer), and you're done.