Re: Sendmail, procmail & quotas

2003-08-26 13:05:26
Thus spake Scott Wiersdorf (scott(_at_)perlcode(_dot_)org) [26/08/03 15:43]:
On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:05:45PM +0300, Brock Rozen wrote:
I'm using procmail as my local mailer, and when a user hits a quota limit
now it returns a "550 5.0.0 <xxx(_at_)xxx(_dot_)com>... Can't create
output" message.

<snip>

By not logging at all, stderr will be written back to the MTA,
allowing sendmail to generate a more "true" error bounce.

Erm...  Is there any way to log *and* provide a valid bounce?  I may be
reaching here, but last I checked, logging was seen as a Good Thing.  I'd
rather suffer with mystical bounces that completely disable logging.

Or does not specifying a logfile cause sendmail to log somewhere generic
(like the mail facility in syslog), while still providing a descriptive
bounce?  Yes, I know I could test this out, but I don't have any testing
systems handy...

  - Damian