Re: Forwarding and errors

2003-10-24 11:21:02
        What we are running into now is that with all the companies that
do spam filtering and screening, alot of the mail ends up bouncing and a
copy goes to Postmaster.

Ick.  Why would you want copies of your users' errors?

        We've found problems with servers and mail servers from this a few
times.

As I don't use this
'feature', I can't report to you how it affects simple MTA forwards --
however, since the forwards via a .forward file are resent via a separate
MSA/MTA invocation, chances are they'll suffer the postmaster problem,
whereas a simple alias/virtusertable forward via the MTA will not.

        I do have series of users in virtusertable, with an off site email
address, and I still get it.

        I wanted to see if there was some sort of processing I could do with
procmail to stop my getting a bounce copy to Postmaster. Anyone run into
this?

There are too many variables within your configuration to answer this
reliably.  The bottom line is that what you're trying to do is better
handled in the MTA, not procmail.

        I am,  and it seems to have the same issue. (Unless I'm missing
something... I have :

@example.com    user(_at_)otherexample(_dot_)com
)

        and it still does it... a "571 Message Refused" comes to the
postmaster.

                Tuc/TTSG Internet Services, Inc.