Re: Forwarding and errors

2003-10-24 14:02:04
At 14:11 2003-10-24 -0400, Tuc wrote:
> >         What we are running into now is that with all the companies that
> >do spam filtering and screening, alot of the mail ends up bouncing and a
> >copy goes to Postmaster.
>
> Ick.  Why would you want copies of your users' errors?

        We've found problems with servers and mail servers from this a few
times.

Generally, you see this stuff in the LOGS if you care to check for it (try setting up a crontab invoked script to grep your maillog for such events and send the postmaster the extracted summary), and then you don't end up with a copy of all the other cruft.

Otherwise, what you get to do is run the inbound mail for postmaster through a script that specifically eliminates bounces associated with the various accounts you forward for (which means you get to maintain the script in parallel with the list of addresses which you forward). Even then, you won't manage to eliminate all the cruft.

Not without some irony, I'd think that it would be the addresses which YOU forward to which you'd be most interested in assuring are being properly delivered to.

        and it still does it... a "571 Message Refused" comes to the
postmaster.

If the mail from your site is being refused, you should keep tabs on the various DNSBLs which it might be listed on.

There's enough junk to deal with without having to add keeping track of users whose external-to-you mail services are unreliable.

Copying to the postmaster is a useful diagnostic when you're attempting to diagnose an intermittent failure, but is way too much grief if you have users sending mail through your server.