Re: Forwarding and errors

2003-10-25 00:08:26
Professional Software Engineering wrote:

At 10:05 2003-10-24 -0400, Tuc wrote:

        Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the following. We are
doing hosting for people, and sometimes ask us to receive mail for them
and forward it.  Currently we do that via a .forward file with sendmail.

You're better off doing it right from within the MTA - via alias or virtusertable.

<snipped>

Ick. Why would you want copies of your users' errors? As I don't use this 'feature', I can't report to you how it affects simple MTA forwards -- however, since the forwards via a .forward file are resent via a separate MSA/MTA invocation, chances are they'll suffer the postmaster problem, whereas a simple alias/virtusertable forward via the MTA will not.

Unfortuantly that doesn't work. I use virtusertable (Sendmail) to do such forwards, and I still get all the bounces. Or what's worse, I get all the bounces back from the original sender's server (or more specifically, the MX host of the domain in the original "from" address) telling me that address doesn't exist.