Re: RE. Re: Folder problem

2004-01-13 21:03:48
At 14:14 2004-01-14 +1300, Adam Bogacki wrote:
Well, JFTR,

... sorry, that one escapes me.

Just For The Record.

arriving in your inbox and there's no record of it in the procmaillog, you
need to check file permissions, and whether procmail is being invoked or not.

I don't know about file permissions, but the following output in /home/adam/Mail/procmaillog suggests that it being invoked - Jan 13, 2004 is the date I started writing this. But it is all still being dumped into my inbox rather than folders.

Folder: /usr/bin/formail -D 8192 .msgid.cache 395
[snip]
Folder: /usr/bin/formail -D 8192 .msgid.cache 385
[snip]
Folder: /usr/bin/formail -D 8192 .msgid.cache 397

If these are the ONLY folders you're seeing deliveries to, then all the messages are being discarded, so far as procmail is indicating.

Ask yourself: do you KNOW that your ISP hasn't been changing their MTA
configuration, say toggling between having procmail configured to be LDA,
and then NOT having it configured?

According to my ISP, the LDA is 'pop3.paradise.net.nz'

That would be the mailhost, not the "Local Delivery Agent".

over the period when my problem arose. Mail filtering is done by 'Brightmail'.

I'm unfamiliar with it.

Any further questioning re. LDA or MTA met with a blank response.

That's reassuring, esp if they told you a hostname in response to the LDA question.

If you wish, I will post my complete .procmailrc to this list. It may be wise to first see if procmail recipes work with the creation of a ~/.forward file.

It would be most wise to move your current .procmailrc to a backup, then produce an absolute baseline .procmailrc and work up from there. Since you have logging, you know that procmail is being invoked - but how might it work if you simply have a recipe to deposit the messages from the procmail list into a folder - do nothing else, no dupe checks, etc.

Tux:/home/adam# sh ./procdiag.sh
# procdiag v20031105.1723
# procdiag run at Wed Jan 14 13:51:13 NZDT 2004

# general account information:
USER: root (root)
GROUPS: root

uhm, uhm, uhm.... _you_ are invoking it as root. Is this the user with the problem? Generally speaking, it's a good idea to have root's email head to a different user, then you're not encouraged to log in as root any more often than necessary (nor do you have a need to use a non-secure mail retrieval protocol, dumping your login data in the clear - yea, you can tunnel POP3, etc, but most people are too lazy).