Hey newbie here.

2004-01-27 22:20:01
Hello all,

Just found this mailing list. I've browsed the overwhelming archives.
There's some difficulties finding information. I've been playing around with
procmail for about 1/2 - 1 year now, mostly noobish things. I'm also running
a website that generates a lot of incoming emails.

At the moment what I want to do is:

filter using lists. makes it easier than editing the procmailrc. also can
use something like excel to sort it out. Maybe even use a database so other
people can submit.
One way I've seen this done was to use 'cat' like, ^subject: `cat file`. the
other is grep.  something like ^subject: |egrep -e -f file
I'm not sure what is the difference between the two. As for my grep
knowledge is pretty minimal. I understand some basics. What I think is the
most complicated part is the keywords to filter by. I would like to filter
emails based on 'from', 'subject', and/or 'body', individually, combining 2,
or all three.

The second thing I'd like to do is filter out certain attachments. Basically
everything but pictures and some .zips. Like the ones coming in now. I'd
like to filter out document.zip.

Any suggestions, assistance, guide, keywords to search by, anything would be
greatly appreciative.

Here is what I have. Let me know if there is something I may have done wrong
or bad, and let me know if there is a better way.

BOSE=ofBOSE=off
LOGABSTRACT=yes
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
COMSAT=no
JUNK=/var/mail/junk

## this will catch the SirCam virus (or any email message that
## discusses the SirCam virus payload ;o)
:0B:
* (in order to have your advice|que me des tu punto de vista)
/dev/null

########### TO FILTER #############

#Send email not specifically sent to the junk
:0
*
!^(To|CC):.*(dan|besthotel|mmarques|jane|emma|bill|reservations|contactus|mi
chael|beststay|webmaster)@(besthotel|beststay)\.com
* !^From:(_dot_)*(_at_)wctravel\(_dot_)com
$JUNK

########## FROM FILTER ############

:0
* ^From:(_dot_)*dani(_dot_)sole(_at_)tin\(_dot_)it
$JUNK

:0
* ^From:(_dot_)*(_at_)paypal\(_dot_)com
$JUNK

:0
* ^From:.*(james|john|admin)@(besthotel|beststay)\.com
$JUNK

####### SUBJECT FILTER ###########

:0
* ^Subject: \[ADV\]|\
Document\.lastModified $|\
A.*([a-z]+|[a-z]+ [a-z]+).*(game|tool|website)$|\
W32\.Elkern|\
Re: Thank you!|\
Virus Detected|\
Re: Your application|\
Re: Details|\
Re: Wicked screensaver|\
Re: That movie|\
Your details
$JUNK

:0
* ^Subject: test|\
            hello|\
            hi|\
            error|\
            server report|\
            status|\
            virus|\
            thank you very very much
$JUNK

## clean environment (this gets passed on to users)
VERBOSE=
LOGABSTRACT=
LOGFILE=
COMSAT=