RE: Hey newbie here.

2004-01-29 19:50:59
At 20:47 2004-01-29 -0500, Dan Vicente wrote:

I've seen this done using 'cat' like, ^subject: `cat file`.

That gets ugly quick. the file needs to be a mammoth regexp, and needs to be syntactically correct end-to-end. AND, one line (or properly contunued lines).

the other is grep.  something like ^subject: |egrep -e -f file.

more like

:0
* ? (formail -xSubject: | egrep -f file)

(or similar). Note that the "-e -f file" parms would be bad, since -e is the switch to say that the following string is a pattern, SPECIFICALLY to permit patterns which start with a hyphen. Or perhaps you meant -E ?

The egrep method allows the file to be a pile of simple string expressions, or regular expressions, being compared against the input string. Lots more versatile than the cat version - BUT - terribly inefficient at runtime. Run a bunch of these concurrently on a large pattern file and watch your memory consumption...

>> COMSAT=no

> Should be default

So this should say COMSAT=default

Well, no to that, but also "not exactly" in the case of no being the default - it defaults to no IF there's an rcfile specified on the commandline (see 'man procmailrc', and search for COMSAT). However, there's certainly no harm in explicitly defining it as such, esp. since it might get turned on in an /etc/procmailrc file, and if you want to ensure that it is OFF, setting it as such is a good way.

Well as for filtering out "Re: Thank you!", I would rather not get one thank
you email than to get 1,000's of spam thank you's. This was an issue awhile
back. I might be able to remove it now. Haven't seen any blocking for it.

Search the archives for "SPAMMISHNESS". There's several discussions of using scoring to "weigh" a message for spammishness, so a simple "Thank You" in a subject isn't spam, but when taken with a handful of other characteristics, is.