RE: Hey newbie here.

2004-01-29 19:04:06
Sorry about the HTML. Hopefully I've turned them off.

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what you are asking.  You
probably will get good mileage from checking the
searchable list archives linked far down the page from www.procmail.org.

That's part of the problem. Without proper keywords I'll be looking through
thousands of messages. I guess I should start with one thing then work up.
Which for one I would like to create a recipe that filters emails using an
external file.

I've seen this done using 'cat' like, ^subject: `cat file`. the other is
grep.  something like ^subject: |egrep -e -f file. I'm not sure what is the
difference between the two.

:0
  * ^Content-Type:.*(multi|attach)
  * B ?? ()\<document\.zip\>
  /dev/null

Cool I'll play around with this one.

BOSE=ofBOSE=off

I don't believe you can use syntax like "foo=bar=blah"

I noticed this while writing that email. That should be VERBOSE=off. Somehow
it ended up the way it's displayed above.

COMSAT=no

Should be default

So this should say COMSAT=default
That was the way it was when I installed Procmail provided by my VPS
company. So I didn't touch it.

:0
* ^Subject: \[ADV\]|\
Document\.lastModified $|\
A.*([a-z]+|[a-z]+ [a-z]+).*(game|tool|website)$|\ W32\.Elkern|\
Re: Thank you!|\

Remind me never to reply to your note of thanks.

Basically, though, you need parens around your ORed statement set or you
will false-poz.

Well as for filtering out "Re: Thank you!", I would rather not get one thank
you email than to get 1,000's of spam thank you's. This was an issue awhile
back. I might be able to remove it now. Haven't seen any blocking for it.

Don't quite understand what you mean by "need parens around your ORed
statement set". I know about the false-poz being legit emails caught by the
filter.

## clean environment (this gets passed on to users) VERBOSE=
LOGABSTRACT= LOGFILE= COMSAT=

To unset vars, just type their name.  Using an equals sign sets them to
null rather than unsetting.

This was also there upon install. So again considering it was packaged by my
VPS company I thought it was there, that way, for a reason.

I would not want to have an account on a system whose admin was filtering
on subjects like that!

Haha funny.!! They are there for a reason.

Thanks for the comments. Greatly appreicate your time & knowledge.

Dan.