Re: E-Mailing the Header from within procmailrc

2004-02-05 23:23:12
At 18:41 2004-02-05 -0600, Greg Ennis wrote:
I am using the procmailrc file on a Red Hat 8.0 system with procmail 3.22
2001/09/10.  I am using sendmail 8.12.8 as well as spamassassin 2.60, and
clamav.

"the procmailrc file" I presume it's one YOU wrote? If not, note that lots of people here aren't going to be familiar with the contents of some script file installed by your choice of distribution. Is this a ~.procmailrc, or an /etc/procmailrc ? They're very different.

I would like to be able to identify certain header information in the case
of spam and virus identifications and forward a packet to the designated
recipient without the spam and without the virus.  I would like to add a
line or two to the body letting the recipient know what happened to the
packet.

"packet" is a network term relating to a token of data. The term you should be using is "message".

Is there a way to do this without piping the whole packet to a script using
| /usr/local/bin/script.

Well, if you're discarding the message, you don't need to deliver it all to the pipe to send along a notice.

Search the list archives for "bouncer.rc" - I've written a script I use to bounce the _headers_ from a questionable message inside the body of a notification message (the examples you'll find are related to some majordomo administrative frontend code I developed). I use much the same code for sending virus notifications.

Sending notices about spam is rather worthless (I send myself a _report_ daily which is an extract of my logfile for the previous 24 hours for all the spams or spam-like messages - I see summaries for every message which had characteristics of spam, whether the message was ditched or not, which is a handy way of keeping tabs on the effectiveness of my spam recipes, as well as permits me to spot messages which perhaps I should have wanted to receive (which is almost never), and which I can go retrieve from my spam archive (since I don't simply /dev/null them). You're better off either discarding/archiving the message, or inserting a header (using the f flag and a pipe to formail) indicating "this message was identified as spam", and letting your user filter it from there.