Re: Spam

2004-02-05 23:23:12
At 14:07 2004-02-05 -0700, LuKreme wrote:
On 04 Feb 2004, at 14:40, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
For a home user managing their own computer, who the hell wants to have to manage a separate host just for mail processing? Hell, for a small business, who wants to do that?

What are you talking about?  Spamd does not require a separate host.

You haven't been following this thread closely have you?

Please refer back to comments about server load. Run a battery of SA tests on messages and contend with 20-30K messages a day in traffic (not to mention E/SMTP traffic when acting as backup MX for other sites - but those messages are not subjected to SA). When server loading gets really severe on account of mail filtering, you don't want that happening on a server that is providing other services such as web and user shell, where that CPU bog gives you a bad reputation and interferes with getting things done in a timely fashion.

Just the other day, someone posted here about their mail server getting bogged under the load of their A/V and spam scanning, and was looking to see if procmail could offer a solution. I cannot imagine waiting 20 minutes, much less *14 hours* for mail to get through.

As more tests are added to SA, it's going to get larger and slower, unless they make a significant change in the design.