Re: Spam

2004-02-04 16:18:03
At 21:18 2004-02-04 +0100, Dallman Ross wrote:
Yup.  Besides which, I'd developed a good deal of my procmail
stuff before there *was* a SpamAssassin.  And I get fewer false
positives and false negatives.

Anyone operating their own mailserver would do well to check out the load caused by spamd (yea, I'm not even talking about individual user-invoked SA processes). I think SA is a great thing for people incapable of managing their own spam solution and who believe the solution to resource hogs is to upgrade to a supercomputer, but IMO, SA is just too much of a pig for some people to want to use it.

For a home user managing their own computer, who the hell wants to have to manage a separate host just for mail processing? Hell, for a small business, who wants to do that? More work, another box to set up (and need an IP for), back up, monitor, etc. A mail processor shouldn't consume more resources (cpu AND memory) than _ALL_ of the other processes on a multiuser host providing web, pop, ftp, and other services. Yet, SA manages to do this, and some people don't see that as wrong.

There's something to be said for knowing precisely how your own spam filtering works. Having "early exit" tests - knowing that some particular characteristic is POSITIVELY spam, and therefore needs no further testing, certainly makes a procmail solution easier to optimize (and thus faster and less of a resource pig) than the SA one. SA might have early exit tests, though I've yet to see an installation where that was the case, and not using it myself - though I admin on a host which runs it, and have dealt with several others - I can't say positively that this isn't an option.

I don't know whether SA has options for skewing the results of checks based on whether the sender is in a greylist -- such as a recognized mailing list where you might permit a bit more lattitude WRT content discussions, while still choosing to check for spam. This however, is quite easy to integrate into a procmail solution.

Besides, if I've got to run procmail to take action on the SA-inserted headers, I may as well just use procmail to do the checks. Plus, if you've got to get intimate with SA to tweak it just right, you're already investing more time than a "canned" solution should require.

However, don't let this be an argument keeping anyone from rushing off and using SA if they feel it is right for their particular situation. I just know I'm quite happy if I don't get a pager alert at 3am notifying me that the CPU load on some host has gone through the roof and stayed there...