Re: Spam

2004-02-03 13:57:01
How is it possible, the Internet providers running antispam/
antivirus protection SW, have accuracy about 99 % with their
anti-spam rules ?
Hmm, where do you get this figure, and what's the correlating
FALSE POSITIVE figure (that indicates the amount of legitimate
email that gets trashed as if it were spam).

I have some accounts at my ISP servers, with antispam/antivirus blocks on.
For one year, there was no false positive, only spam was removed (there
comes monthly list from ISP about disabled mails).

Does anybody know EXACT SEQUENCE what software/daemons/
rules to setup on mailserver to finally get spam out ? Or is it still
trial /
failure method for anybody who need it ?

If there were some magical "exact sequence" then there wouldn't be
so much spam, would there?

I agree, but we still must "reinvent the wheel", doesn't we? Also in this
list, there was some notes "I use sw XXX, have setup rules YYY and now I do
not get a spam...", but they disapeared from my view, and the archives are
too big to find something if I do not know exactly, what I'm looking for.

Couldn't we join together and invent some UNIVERSAL RECIPE published at
WELL-KNOWN PLACE to remove the spam completely? There are groups for
everything around the world, so why there is no one for disabling the spam?
It needs some good programmers (I'm not one of them) and inventive people to
think, but there is a lot of skilled people around. Let's try to define the
problem - is't always the first step.

From my amateur point of view, if MTAs still ACCEPT open relays' mails, the
spam can not be removed. The RBLs are only "the crutch", needed because we
(users and admins of those MTAs) still can not agree, what's good for us.
And we must reinvent rules etc. again and again. There is question, how
could legitimate users authenticate and send legitimate mails, if they do
not run their own mailserver and use ISP's servers. Too much freedom is not
always the best thing - as classic said: "Freedom is known necessity". But
it MUST be possible to invent it.

It needs united approach to disable spam at all. This is my vision, so it
might be wrong.

Peter Rosa