Re: Recipe Correct

2004-02-04 16:18:04
At 08:29 2004-02-05 +1100, Marvin Pierce wrote:
The reason that I don't use the second colon after :0 is that when
delivering to a maildir or MH format mailbox, you do not need to use a
lock file so the first line of a recipe does not need the second colon.

You did not indicate you were using MH or maildir delivery, which is of course why virtually every respondant to your post pointed out the missing colon as a potential issue.

As per the procmail manpage:

:0:
spam

is delivery to a unix mbx format FILE named spam if a regular file (or nonexistant). IF the file happens to actually be a directory, it delivers as MH, but with a different naming scheme (simple incrementing number). Because of the ambiguity of this, it's really a good idea to NOT use a simple filename for MH deliveries. Furthermore, delivering to MH is slower than maildir or regular mbx deliveries, because procmail has to parse the complete dir to look for the highest message number. When you have LOTS of messages, this is a liability.

:0
spam/

is delivery to a maildir (spam/tmp/uniquename, renamed to spam/new/uniquename)

:0
spam/.

is delivery to an MH folder - a numeric extension on a filename of $MSGPREFIX in the directory spam/

Adherence to these standard syntaxes ensures that the intent of the recipe is understood according to procmail syntax.