Re: make mail automatically 'read' when delvered

2004-02-07 06:06:06
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 03:09:56PM +0000, JM Fraser wrote:

Is there anyway that I can put together a recipe which would ensure
all mail to a certain mailbox is marked 'read' after it enters that
mailbox?

(I take it you mean marked *before* it enters the mailbox.  Otherwise,
it's kind of like canceling the stamp on the envelope after the letter
has been dropped in the recipient's mailbox.) :-)

This feature is a convention of your MUA (mail program), not a
universal protocol or standard.  However, typically MUAs append
a "Status" header to show that a message has been read.  So
you can use formail to create or override such a header:

  :0 fhw
  * your conditions
  | formail -I "Status: RO"

If, on the other hand, you are talking about POP3 or IMAP clients
not downloading already-seen messages, then you even more assertedly
have a feature of fthe individual mail program to contend with and
will probably not succeed by just editing mail headers on the
server.

--
dman