Re: empty body

2004-02-09 18:35:31
Toen ik R A Lichtensteiger kietelde, kwam er dit uit:

Reto, please use '>' as the quote-character on mailings-lists.

According to procmailrc, the "<" test looks at the total message
length, so header and body.

OK. I should have checked.

Procmail must know the total size of the message (Well, it does have
to malloc() space for it <g>) without having to explicitly count
(recount?) the number of bytes.

I don't think so, although, again, I didn't check. Procmail
can postpone calculating the size of the body until it
really needs it. It can read in the body in chunks.

when you consider the email an old
friend just sent -- a 3.2MB mpeg file (+sigh+) -- i CAN SEE MERIT IN
not checking it at all ...

Especially in that case it could be too much to calculate the
size of the message, because there will be non-whitespace at
the start of the body. But of course, when the message is in
a file, procmail can use the filesize. And if it has read in
and sized the header, it knows the size of the body.

LINEBUF refers only to the lenght of things from the rc file, not the
email itself, so that concern is moot here.

Does that also mean that from the moment that you have a line like this:
the whole body is in memory? I really should check the source.

--
Affijn, Ruud