Re: regex syntax question

2004-03-02 12:56:58
At 10:10 2004-03-02 -0700, LuKreme wrote:
If you have a large list of domains that SA is missing I think you might want to enable some RBL checking. I use cbl in my postfix configuration (it rejects mail from cbl listed IPs) and have not had any complaints.

Heh, of course not - how are they supposed to contact you? <g>

Often links to image pages are links to unrelated sites. For example, lots of fake spam links to the REAL ebay images. Ebay, for some reason known only o them, does not block access to their images to outside websites (a trivial mod to httpd.conf).

Indeed. However, they probably don't block them because of crap browsers that fail to provide valid referrer data, and therefore would be blocked. Just what eBay needs - some user claiming they couldn't use the service because their archaic browser couldn't access the service (or at least, the images - although their entire interface uses images, they DO have ALT tags).

I'll look these up.  I've had to turn off rbl checking in most things as
one of the rbls started reporting everything as bad.

If you turn off all rbls then you will need to have a lot of extremely good procmail code to take their place. And I mean A *LOT*.

OSIRUSOFT blew out with a "world positive" on the returns, as a way of reminding people - after it'd been announced they were going off the air - that the DNSBL needed to be removed from configurations. Was rather rude, but anyone who wasn't paying attention to their DNSBLs sort of had it coming...

One could still make use of DNSBLs after the SMTP stage - performing lookups and inserting a message header identifying the DNSBLs which the sender host was determined to be listed in. This isn't nearly as effective though, since you take the bandwidth hit for accepting the message, and it is ill advised to send a bounce at this point. However, you can easily scuttle messages, say to a quarantine area for a period of time, and if you find your mail volume suddenly stops, it wouldn't be difficult to figure out which DNSBL went freak on you.