Re: always delivering internally sent email

2004-05-05 10:33:12
At 11:44 2004-05-05 -0400, Eric Wood wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael J Wise"
> If you're gonna do it that way, why not just do this:
>
> * ^Received:.*\(.*\[(10|192\.168)\.
> $DEFAULT

Ok, I see, and for local 127 stuff:

:0H:
* ! ^Received: .*$+Received: \/.*
* ^Received:.*\(.*\[(10|192\.168|127)\.
$DEFAULT

Uh, I wouldn't rely on this. Newer sendmails have an MSA and an MTA, such that a locally delivered message may still have TWO received headers.

FURTHER, there's no guarantee that a locally delivered message will necessarily have an ip address in it. If 127.0.0.1 resolves to localhost (as it should on many boxes), then you may not even see a numeric in the headers from the MSA. You might get this one received header element from an externally submitted message - something coming from the workstation of a user submitting a message to your server for delivery (but NOT if their workstation is running it's own MTA, which would have introduced additional received: headers).

It also seems that the 172.16/12 network (16 class B nets) in RFC1918 was missed.