Re: always delivering internally sent email

2004-05-05 13:14:20
At 14:11 2004-05-05 -0400, Eric Wood wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Professional Software Engineering"> >:0H:
> >* ! ^Received: .*$+Received: \/.*
> >* ^Received:.*\(.*\[(10|192\.168|127)\.
> >$DEFAULT
>
> Uh, I wouldn't rely on this.  Newer sendmails have an MSA and an MTA, such
> that a locally delivered message may still have TWO received headers.

For sendmail-8.12.10, email sent from externally and from the mail server
itself yielded two Received headers.

You mean mail which originated locally via submission to sendmail as a program invocation (vs. a local host connection to the SMTP, which some shell-based mail clients do use) and an external mail-server originated message relayed to the local mail server.

Mail comming from a NAT client yielded only one Received header.

FTR, NAT has nothing to do with it - an external user anywhere on the internet which connects to your SMTP and submits a message which doesn't itself have Received: headers already will end up with a message with but a single Received header (the one inserted by your mailhost when it accepted the message), though additional Received headers might get tacked on elsewhere in your system if the message bops around for delivery. Granted, in those cases, they shouldn't match the bracketed IP condition.

HOWEVER, it is also possible (even probable) that your mail server might insert other optional headers between previous received: headers and locally inserted ones, so a remotely generated message might match your NAT recipe just fine because there might not be two consecutive Received headers to cause it to skip.