ruminations on spam filtering

2004-05-14 15:12:29
I've been doing some evaluation of junk traffic thrown at my net - including throwing some old messages at newer techniques, but also noting patterns of junk being thrown at my mail server and considering approaches to avoiding the connections in the first place, even if they don't represent a significant amount of traffic in the big picture.

Rather than send my ramblings to the list here, I've set up a BLOG at my procmail pages (linked from the top of the page shown in my .sigline).

While not applicable to all the unfortunate souls who rely on dns and mail administered by someone else, those who do administer their own DNS and mail host may be intrigued by a couple of ideas which I came up with this morning after reviewing spam rejections on one of my servers.

They are not without work, but I'd like to think that in the long run, they may very well significantly reduce nonsense connections to ones mailhost.

I'm certain that more than a few people have had to cease using an account because it was overrun by spam, and then go create a new one and s*bscribe to lists with that. The approach I put forth offers an variation on that technique - one which allows your mailhost to shed the unwanted connections attempting to send spew to the old address (which certainly are being rejected, but you're dealing with the connections just the same) *AND* give the shaft to some spammer at the same time.