Re: Duplicates?

2004-05-18 15:54:14
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 07:58, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 07:15 2004-05-19 +1000, Marvin Pierce wrote:

The confusion for users trying to understand procmail is its misuse of
some words and the use of when you can or should use a colon.

If you say so.  procmail isn't a tutorial on system file locking and
security - there's limits to how much its own man pages should need to
explain things from the ground up - there's other manpages for that.

I'm using maildir formatted mailboxes herein lies the confusion, man
says you don't need lockfile.

What type of file is your ACTION line DELIVERING to?

Wha, wha, wha, it isn't delivering to a MAILDIR?  You're delivering via a
pipe to a program???

The obvious... so much to learn!
The lazy problem - once you get it working to your satisfaction, one
tends to abandon it and rely on the gurus for help as the community is
very helpful. I spending more time on this than I would have liked but
I've gleaned a few kernels and may be able to help someone down the
track.

Going to ask my final question in a new thread.

This thread has been solved and can now be closed. Thank you.

When running formail via a pipe, you're NOT delivering to a maildir --
you're piping to a program.  Here, the need for locking is to protect the
integrity of the file which formail is manipulating, which most assuredly
is not maildir anything.  It isn't even a mailbox.

:0 a: for that flag in the same recipe? I don't know the man is not
clear. It says I don't need it and so does Nancy's tutorial.

No.  In fact, on that recipe, you wouldn't add locking of any sort because
the ACTION is a braced construct, not delivery to a file, directory, or
even program.

[big snip - no need to include cruft not pertaining to the thrust of the
reply -- that includes prior sigs and list footers]