Re: What is the most efficient way to query an RBL?

2004-05-23 12:26:28
At 13:00 2004-05-23 -0600, Linux wrote:

I have seen allot of packages that have RBL queries built in., Spamassassin
being one of them.  Does anybody know of a package or method to use that is
designed for RBL queries only?

'host'.  You should find it on most systems.

The thing is, if you want to query multiple DNSBLs _efficiently_, you should probably think about writing (or having someone write) a util to perform a series of queries, returning the composite results. Otherwise, you're calling host a number of times for each message, instead of just once.

A smart query tool could also track how long each query is taking, and possibly reorder the queries (if you bail on the FIRST hit, say), or also raise a warning if one of the DNSBLs starts returning errors (such as when they go off the air).

But, 'host' will perform a query for you. You _do_ need to reverse the octets of the IP you want to look up. There's code to do this which has been posted to this list in the past - try using the archive search.