Re: Phantom lines in empty body

2004-06-21 17:37:47
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at  5:23:48PM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Jim, once in a while repetition operators have caused trouble.  What
happens if instead of

* -1^1 ^.*[^     ]+.*$"

you drop the plus sign and use

* -1^1 ^.*[^     ].*$"

which, after all, will also subtract 1 for ever line in the body that
includes a visible character?

No change; still scores -27 for three newlines after the header.

Of course, I had lots of good suggestions of better ways to do this
particular job.  I'm using Dallman's non-scoring version, successfully.

It's too bad I can't just trust wringing out a set of recipes at home
in the sandbox, not knowing if they'll fail in the ISP's environment.
At least it doesn't happen often; but this is definitely a case where
every quick failure is a real gift!

Cheers,

Jim