Re: bypass

2004-06-26 05:23:21
When Curtis wrote,

I have a couple of users that I need to bypass the /etc/procmailrc.
Is there a way to get procmail to only process the ${HOME}/${LOGNAME}/.procmailrc and dump them out of the main
procmailrc?

Dallman answered,

Two ways I can think of quickly: one, near the top of /etc/procmailrc,

  :0
  * LOGNAME ?? ^^(foo|bar|baz)^^
  { SWITCHRC }

Yup.

Two, the users could run procmail -m in their .forward, specifying their
.procmailrc explicitly.

Not so good. First, the -m will unset ORGMAIL and lose that safety net; second, naming any rcfile on the command line is enough to make procmail bypass /etc/procmailrc and -m isn't required; third, there's the same thing I'm about to say in reply to Ruud, who wrote,

If you like to give your users the choice, test for a special filename
in the user's home, like '.procmailrc.rules'. You could require a special
size too, like 0 bytes.

Curtis said that *he* needs to have their mail bypass /etc/procmailrc, not that they need it, so I gather he's looking for solutions under his control, not theirs. The content of ~/.procmailrc or the existence of a file in $HOME would be controllable by the user. Maybe that's better, but it's not what Curtis said he's trying to do.