Re: length()

2004-07-01 11:07:47
Toen wij David W. Tamkin kietelden, kwam er dit uit:

Here's my mnemonic: L should have been the Length of the search area and
M should have been the Mark to which it is compared.  But Stephen is
Dutch; where the ground is lower than the water, everything's flipped
over topsy-turvy.  That's why it's the other way around.

That it works is everything.

"M" shouldn't stand for "mail" or "message" because the search area
isn't always the entire message.  "L" shouldn't stand for "largeness"
because there's no such word.  I'd accept L for "line," as in the place
in varying sizes of the search area where the fraction crosses unity,
and M for the measurement of the search area.

F.rom that, I come to this:
  L = line or limit (configuration value)
  M = measurement or message-size ('external' value)

Seriously, your under/over stuff for remember which way > divides and
which way < divides is clever.

I allways (need to) check my view-of-the-moment with a 'man procmailsc'.

--
Grtz, Ruud