Re: Autoresponder almost works now

2004-07-09 21:52:28
Two independent points I'd like to emphasise:

procmail LOG='PATH is $PATH"
"' DEFAULT=/dev/null /dev/null < /dev/null

is a quickie way of checking the value of any compiled-in variable
without having to create an rcfile.

True, but as Dallman pointed out, on setups where the mail is processed
by a mailhost different to the shellhost (I was on one of those for
years), testing anything is a pain (esp when they have different OSes)
and you must run through a resource file.

However, there's another aspect: virus-laden messages always have false
return addresses, so there's no gain in bouncing them, plus there is the
possible damage of sending the bounce to an innocent party whose address
was forged on the infected message that you're bouncing.

Absolutely!! The one thing worse then getting N-hundred daily virii is
getting 4*N-hundred emails from tossers (excuse me) telling *me* when
*someone else* sent them a virus. Doh.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.