Re: Autoresponder almost works now

2004-07-10 06:26:03
On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 07:31:09AM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:

In a situation like that, drafting an rcfile like this:

 LOG="PATH is $PATH
 SENDMAIL is $SENDMAIL
 ORGMAIL is $ORGMAIL
 "

HOST

and running

 procmail .thatrcfile < /dev/null

will also report the values on the shellhost.  If the mailhost's setup
is different from that of the shellhost (I knew Brits had taken to
saying "different to," which is a ridiculous choice of preposition for
expressing divergence, but now New Zealanders are doing it too?), you
can't find out from an interactive call, with or without an rcfile.  You
have to use an rcfile *and* send mail to the account.

Just in case anyone is relying on cargo-cult mentality and just blindly
copying David's lines into a working rc, please take note that you
probably do not want HOST as a bare command (unsetting the value)
in an rc-file that gets real mail that you want to keep.  The mail
will be eaten at that point.

David was surely envisioning a situation where the unguarded HOST line
would only be in a special rc that gets run purely with test mail,
never with real mail that happens to be coming in then.

(I believe Volker is a transplanted German, but what do I know?)

--
dman