Re: Autoresponder almost works now

2004-07-10 12:13:03
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:13:52 -0400 Charlie Summers
<charlie(_at_)lofcom(_dot_)com> wrote:

(*sigh*) Even mailing list help autoresponders are becoming useless,
though, what with responding to spam and viruses. Autoresponders used to
be extrordinarily useful, but are now becoming completely useless.
Another casualty of the war against spam/viruses.

Properly configured auto-responders are still very useful. A properly
configured auto-responder shouldn't reply to the same address more than
once in a 24 hour period. That's another problem I have with this brain
dead Windows MTA -- we need auto-responders on some addresses that are also
human readable and every time you send them an email -- even 100 times a
day -- they respond.

I'm still digging around trying to figure out how many blacklists we'd end
up on if I made our abuse(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_) and
postmaster(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_) addresses nothing more
than an auto-responder that asked parties to please send "real" related mail to
(something.else)@... Our postmaster and abuse boxes are useless at this
point. I probably delete hundreds of valid messages every week as I try to
scan through the thousands that come in.

I operate one domain that has no spam filtering at all and am trying to
schedule time with the webmaster to change the "standard" addresses
(support, sales, billing) and have him obfuscate the new addresses on the
website while I turn the old addresses into auto-responders telling
customers to use the new ones.

Gerald