*simple* spam recipe is failing with procmail (possible problem with egrep?)

2004-07-11 15:53:15
Hello everyone,
     Sorry to bother you with this seemingly trivial problem, but I have been
greppling with this for several days and I am completely out of ideas...

THE SITUATION:
     I have sendmail/spamassassin/procmail setup with mboxes.
Sendmail is fine (no really...)
Spamassassin is labeling spam accurately (with the occasional false positive,
but not a big deal for now).
Procmail is currently configured for a test account (I am on a production
server and do not want to screw up my users).
     As it stands now, procmail is invoking spamassassin (successfully), but
the *extremely* simple recipe I put in to just move spam to the 'spam' mbox is
not working.
     I have grocked through several mailing lists and tutorials and tried allot
of variations for the recipe, but nothing is working...I am begining to suspect
that procmail is not actually using egrep (per the default) and simply not
stating that in the logs, but you be the judge...
     For the record I have also tried telling .procmailrc with

MY .PROCMAILRC (Anything after <-- is commentary and not actually found in the
file):

VERBOSE=yes                 <--Also tried explicitly assigning SHELL and EGREP
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail/log
LOGABSTRACT=yes
:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamassassin
:0:
$MAILDIR/spam               <--Also tried $(MAILDIR)/spam and just spam

PROOF THAT PROCMAIL *SHOULD* BE FINDING THE SPAM IN MY TEST FILE(?):

$ egrep "^X-Spam-Flag: YES" spamtester.txt

THE TEST:

$ procmail .procmailrc<spamtester.txt
procmail: [16085] Sun Jul 11 14:50:59 2004
procmail: Assigning "MAILDIR=/home/junk/mail"
procmail: Assigning "LOGFILE=/home/junk/.procmail/log"
procmail: Opening "/home/junk/.procmail/log"
You have new mail in /var/mail/junk

MY LOG RESULTS:

$ tail .procmail/log
procmail: Assigning "LOGABSTRACT=yes"
procmail: Executing "/usr/bin/spamassassin"
procmail: [16085] Sun Jul 11 14:51:02 2004
procmail: No match on "^X-Spam-Flag: YES"
procmail: Locking "/var/mail/junk.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/var/mail/junk"
procmail: Opening "/var/mail/junk"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: Unlocking "/var/mail/junk.lock"
  Folder: /var/mail/junk

     That's about it...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
     Cheers,
          Ryan

P.s.-
     If this comes in as a double-post, I appologize...I originally tried
sending this from the wrong account...too many ssh sessions open can be a bad
thing...