Re: newbie

2004-07-16 06:52:19
On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 08:22:15AM +0200, Dallman Ross wrote:
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:22:15 +0200
From: Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: newbie
To: procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:08:51PM -0400, Paul Chvostek wrote
[in uncharacteristic-for-him top-posting style, which I have
corrected here]:

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:07:39PM -0400, Paul C. Easton wrote:

Hi, I'm a Procmail newbie.  I simply trying to set up a receipe that
will search for multiple address in multiple feilds and send them to
an IMAP folder.  Looking at various tutorials and samples, I thought
that the following would work:

:0:
* ^(From|Cc|To).*technolawyer|\
  ^(From|Cc|To).*abajournalereport|\
  ^(From|Cc|To).*foolcs|\
  ^(From|Cc|To).*foolsubs|\
  ^(From|Cc|To)(_dot_)*brsends(_at_)0cgi|\
  ^(From|Cc|To).*ABANET|\
  ^(From|Cc|To).*RWTH-Aachen|\
  ^(From|Cc|To).*eletters|\
  ^(From|Cc|To).*Equifax|\
  ^(From|Cc|To).*Mozdev|\
  ^(From|Cc|To).*lexisnexismail\
@Read

But it doesn't.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could push
me in the right direction.

Have you read the procmailrc man page?

Look for "TO_".  Look at how conditions are structured.  Remember that
multiple conditions are always ANDed.  If you want to OR them, either
build a regular expression for it, or use scoring.  (This is explained
in some detail in various procmail FAQs.)

Actually, Paul C: What Paul E. tried -- despite its being very ugly
style -- should, indeed, work, save for one tiny syntax error.

Agreed, but given that he's a self-described newbie, and the docs for
multi-line conditions are not exactly in-your-face, I figured that use
of the multi-line condition syntax was accidental.

He needs an action line.

I inferred that his "@Read" was an attempt at an action line.  Since I
don't know what he wants it to do, and there are other problems with the
recipe, I merely provided reading pointers rather than trying to parse.

There is *much* translation of meta-recipes into recipes on this list.
It would be nice if more folks read the examples before posting.

and that he uses a lockfile
but says in his precatory statement to us that he wants deliver to
IMAP folders, which wouldn't need the lockfile.

Untrue, as was already noted by David.  Whether his folders are stored
in mbox, MH, Maildir or some other format has naught to do with the
communication between his MUA and IMAP server.

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>