Re: Should I tempfail when spamfiltering

2004-08-24 15:47:37
Dan Smart wrote:

If spamc fails for some reason, (TIMEOUT, too many instances, etc?)
then procmail continues with the rest of the recipe.

What risk do I incur if I add the following?

:0 fw
| /usr/bin/spamc
:0 e ## If previous errors, run this
{
EXITCODE = $EX_TEMPFAIL
HOST = "_spamc_failed_"
}

Assuming you've defined $EX_TEMPFAIL, looks fine.  I'm not completely
sure how your mailsystem handles a tempfail error, but my guess is,
it's probably okay.

On my system, "{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }" suffices.  I prefer ":0 fW", but
that only affects how it looks in my logfile.

If your spamc version is recent, it "falls back safely", instead of
failing.  It outputs its input, unchanged.  That is, it does for you
what procmail already does anyway when a filter exits nonzero.  If so,
spamc always exits 0.  The "-x" spamc option disables this behavior.
Check with "spamc -h".  If you see the "-x" option, you need it.

HTH,
Mike

--
--       Con    In                                       Hanc marginis
    --   Tact   Formation                                    exiguitas