Re: Should I tempfail when spamfiltering

2004-08-26 13:51:32
Eric Wood wrote:
Mike Peeler wrote:
Dan Smart wrote:
I have set my procmail TIMEOUT=90 so I don't wait too long for
SpamAssassin spamc to do its thing.  Does anyone have a suggestion
if this is too short or too long?

Too short.  In fact, don't kill spamc.  It has its own timeout:

  -t: timeout in seconds to read from spamd. 0 disables. [default: 600]

Procmail defaults to sixteen minutes; spamc, to ten.  I'd cut spamc's
timeout in half, but no more than that.  That's spamc -x -t 300.

What!?  You can't have a delivery agent work on a message for that
long, your queue and server would get backed up.

Doesn't seem to be a problem on my system.  The key is, the timeout is
for the worst case, not the normal case.

Honestly, I don't use TIMEOUT's in procmail but common sense tell me
to use a TIMEOUT=10 (or less if you have a blazing system).

Then, honestly, your TIMEOUT is 960.  Common sense isn't engineering.

If it takes more than 10 seconds for
procmail+calmav+spamassassin+bogofilter+whatever
to deal with a message - then you've got real problems.

Yes, it's a problem if it regularly takes too long.  But that doesn't
seem to happen to most people.  Anyway, I don't think killing processes
involuntarily is the right way to increase throughput.

Mike