Re: Procmail and Courier IMAP (was: executing a program on match)

2004-08-28 09:53:48
Am 2004-08-28 10:57:37, schrieb Bill McCormick:
David W. Tamkin wrote:

:0
.$LISTNAME/

-- note the trailing slash! --

will get procmail to create the directory and its three required
subdirectories and to store the message under .$LISTNAME/new/.  If
it's not for Courier IMAP, then you don't need the leading period.  If
the directory already exists, procmail will use it.

You're tripping yourself up by specifying "/new" instead of letting
procmail do it.

This seems to be an undocumented feature (at least in the man pages) of

Please RTFM

  ____ ( -c 'man 5 procmailrc' ) _______________________________________
 /
|  PROCMAILRC(5)                                       PROCMAILRC(5)
|

|  NNAAMMEE
|         procmailrc - procmail rcfile

|         Anything else will be taken as a mailbox  name  (either  a
|         filename  or a directory, absolute or relative to the cur­
|         rent directory (see MAILDIR)).  If it is a  (possibly  yet
|         nonexistent) filename, the mail will be appended to it.
|
|         If  it  is  a  directory,  the mail will be delivered to a
|         newly created, guaranteed to be unique file named $MSGPRE­
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

|         FIX* in the specified directory.  If the mailbox name ends
|         in "/.", then this directory  is  presumed  to  be  an  MH
          ^^^^^^

|         folder;  i.e.,  procmail will use the next number it finds
|         available.  If the mailbox name ends  in  "/",  then  this
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|         directory  is presumed to be a maildir folder; i.e., proc­
|         mail will deliver the message to a file in a  subdirectory
|         named  "tmp"  and  rename  it  to be inside a subdirectory
|         named "new".  If the mailbox is  specified  to  be  an  MH
|         folder  or maildir folder, procmail will create the neces­
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|         sary directories if they don't exist,  rather  than  treat
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|         the  mailbox as a non-existent filename.  When procmail is
|         delivering to directories, you can specify multiple direc­
|         tories  to  deliver  to  (procmail  will  do  so utilising
|         hardlinks).

procmail. If I would hae bothered to check beyond the man pages, I would
have found this and other useful info regarding procmail and qmail
playing nice together in my qmail book (O'Reilly - John R Levine).

Which is rather old...

I leave this for others that use procmail as a MDA for qmail.

Happy mailing.

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi