Re: recipe to stop procmail processing

2004-09-02 11:19:30
Dallman Ross wrote:

However, whenever he writes "there's no other way," something fires
off in my head

In or at?

and I have to find another way.

   LOCKFILE = foo.bar

   :0
   * HB ?? ? cat >> foo
   $DEFAULT

   LOCKFILE

Lovely, but you missed something, Dallman: other procmail processes may be writing to $DEFAULT without locking foo.bar. You still need a local lockfile on the recipe.

And, oh yes, you're assuming that foo is an mbox.

Shall I mention the forks of cat and $SHELL? Well, you never said it was a great way, just a way. If we're going that route anyway with forks and shells, if both foo and $DEFAULT are mboxes, try this:

 :0:
 | tee -a foo >> $DEFAULT

Since all writes to foo will be locked by $DEFAULT$LOCKEXT, there's no need for a separate lock on foo. Yes,

 :0:$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT
 | tee -a $DEFAULT >> foo

is equivalent.

BTW, if foo and $DEFAULT are both classic procmail directories on the same partition,

 :0
 foo $DEFAULT

will write the message to a file and hard-link it into both directories.
I don't know what happens if they're on different partitions, or if they're MH directories or maildirs, or if they're two different types of directories.