Re: LOGNAME (Was: Re: procmail: small filters need sleep 1)

2004-09-05 10:28:46
Dallman Ross wrote:

It seems to me that periods could very easily be in $LOGNAME.  Why not?
I have one account where I am "dallman.ross".  (But I don't have shell
access there.)

True. If there could be lognames with periods, then $\LOGNAME makes sense; you wouldn't want mail for alexia.smith or alex.ansmith to match alex.a.smith's recipe. (The reverse is not a risk, nor is confusing joellen.strom with joel.engstrom. Letters in the text match to unescaped periods in the regexp but periods in the text don't match to letters in the regexp.)