Re: rewriting the subject line

2004-10-12 23:37:00
Justin Gombos wrote:

* Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> [2004-10-09 10:35]:

:0 fw h
* TAG ?? .
* ^Subject:\/.*
| formail -I "Subject:$TAG$MATCH"

Shouldn't that be modded to reset the TAG variable, so it doesn't test
as positive on the next message?  ie..

  :0 fw h
  * TAG ?? .
  {
  formail -I "Subject:$TAG$MATCH"
  TAG = ""
  }

I don't know the source of the snippet, so I can't comment on whether TAG should be cleared out or not, but if it should, that syntax will not invoke formail. Try this:

 :0fwh
 * TAG ?? .
 | formail -I "Subject:$TAG$MATCH"
 :0A
 { TAG }

or equivalently (though less to my own liking),

 :0
 * TAG ?? .
 {
  :0fwh
  | formail -I "Subject:$TAG$MATCH

  TAG
 }

Actually, it's probably harmless to unset TAG no matter what:

 :0fwh
 * TAG ?? .
 | formail -I "Subject:$TAG$MATCH"

 TAG

If for some reason you want TAG to come out null rather than unset,

 TAG=

does that job just as well as

 TAG = ""

as Justin had.