Re: rewriting the subject line

2004-10-13 16:30:44
Dallman Ross wrote:

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:58:58AM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:

You realize, Dallman, that so long as there is a match in the head

^Subject:.

(where the period means "anything except a newline" and not
necessarily a literal period), the

(.*\<)?

will be matched to null, don't you?

I do know it.  I not only know it, I am counting on it.

So why didn't you use just,

instead?

Also, I should point out that I adopted that "(.*\<)?\/.+" syntax
from you after you posted it about two-and-a-half or three years ago.

Er, no.  I had specific characters after the extractor, not wildcards.

And that's why in this case the "(.*\<)? equates to nothing at all.
(What we want it to do.)

If you want to match nothing, you should write nothing.

Returning to the topic of collecting the Subject in a var, (as David knows) the above won't work for multi-line subjects; it will just
match the first line.

I know no such thing.  Continuation lines in the head are unfolded for
procmail's egrepping, remember?