Re: Expressing metacharacters as literals

2004-10-14 15:40:16
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 03:14:40PM -0600, Justin Gombos wrote:
* Christopher L. Barnard <cbar44(_at_)tsg(_dot_)cbot(_dot_)com> [2004-10-14
16:36]:

How do I tell procmail to match on a quote symbol?

I'm not sure why \' does not work for you, but did you try brackets
instead?  ie. [']  Brackets are an alternative way to express a
metacharacter as a literal.

Actually, neither an apostrophe nor a quote symbol (") is a
metacharacter to procmail within regexes.  Nor is it in the
set $SHELLMETAS (for which, see the man pages).  To have procmail
match a quote symbol or an apostrophe, you just type it in the regex.

Here's and example:

 :0
 * BH ?? ()\/'[^']*'
 { foo = $MATCH }

 procmail: Match on "()\/'[^']*'"
 procmail: Assigning "foo='lander'"

 :0
 { foo = $MATCH }

 procmail: Match on "()\/"[^"]*""
 procmail: Assigning "foo="Andy Tracy""

Sometimes we assign a var to a quotation mark for convenience's sake
(ours, not procmail's), because they do tend to mess up some editors.

--
dman