Who is the procmail maintainer?

2004-10-19 11:21:47
Hi,

Who is maintaining the procmail source code?

Although I use procmail, there have been several bugs
fixed since the 3.22 release back in September 2001.
That's over three years ago and no updated release.

It seems vendors are creating their own versions with
many of the same patches, but I'm curious why procmail
hasn't simply been rerolled and v3.23 released?

If no one is maintaining it, should the community consider
moving it to sourceforge.net (or wherever) and let the
community maintain it from there?

There appears to be enough procmail experts spending their
time answering posts to the lists that with a little more
effort, a group of them could easily maintain the procmail
code base.  <wink, wink, nudge, nudge> :-)  You know who you
are. :-)

To be clear, I'm not suggesting a 4.0 rewrite or any major
feature enhancements.  I'm simply suggesting applying patches
and releasing the tarball.   "Release early.  Release often".
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/

As an aside, procmail seems to serve as an interesting
example of Open Source Software that has tremendous traction
but no active development.  I believe we will see more of
this as OSS matures and maintainers drop off.

Forgive me if this has been rehashed over and over on the
list, but I could not find anything in the archives.
The procmail-dev list is dead.

Thanks,
Sam